Monday 23 January 2012

Walking Street

Pattaya, Thailand

Going to Pattaya? (The answer is 'Yes'.) Go to Walking Street. Period. Here was my experience:

Insanity ensued. People. Lots and lots of people. The street is affectionately named ‘Walking Street’ because at night it is closed off to motor vehicles. It is a quarter mile strip plagued with Go-go clubs, strip clubs, restaurants, shops, carnival/circus-type acts, break dancers, Thai boxing, singers, neon lights, tourists, artists, Thai Boys, etc.

In the middle of Walking Street

End of Walking Street before the red lights were turned on (as in, it becomes a Red Light District)



Scorpion Girl

Let hundreds of scorpions crawl on her body. Not much of a talent, but a sight to see, even if they are the non-stinging kind. Check out the sign. Am I a jerk for calling, “Bullsh*t!”? I’ve seen too many women sitting on the streets at night with "their kids" ironically planted "asleep" on the sidewalks to prove their state of poverty to believe anything anyone around here says. When you turn the corner, they’ll tap the kid as if saying, Someone is coming. Quick! Get into position! And the kid (who was playing with dolls and eating candy moments before) will pretend to sleep or put on a sad face and ask for money when I JUST witnessed them jumping around and singing moments before their director called, “Action!” I'm not saying they couldn't use the help--I am saying that Mama 'aint raise no fool.


Young contortionist

Poor thing was being pranced around like a show monkey. Look at this outfit—they are trying to make her look like she’s seven but we can all tell she is too old to wear that tutu and hair bow. Little kids pull money easily so I understand the attempt. Not fooled, though.




Statue Boy

The only reason I mention him is cuz I caught a Thai Boy in the background.





Break dancing kids

They were battling and joking around but made for a good show.





Sketch artist

I had my portrait done for less than $10.00! I think he did a great job for what it was, though this photo does him no justice.


Whiny little kid?

This girl broke through the crowd at 1:00am, latched onto me while I was walking and told me, “20 baht,” for her to get off! She wasn’t even selling a pack of gum. 20 baht. I shook her loose for free. Scammers!


I never wanted for entertainment while I was here. Came here three nights because there were constantly new people and things to see. Want to know what I saw most consistently?

1) Innumerable White men with presumably purchased Thai women (some genuine and others not), ALWAYS holding hands.

2) Thai Boys on the prowl. They were very loud, bold, and aggressive in their approaches to find men to pick them up.

3) Lesbian Asian couples (not the sexy/attractive type).

4) Entirely too much makeup on every feminine looking Thai person. Made it impossible to tell the real from the fake. There were enough pounds of makeup on this street to sink a small island.

5) Thai Boys losing themselves in mirrors for minutes at a time, situating body parts and reapplying makeup.

6) Desperate-looking men drooling while watching go-go dancers through club windows.

I’m actually not even surprised to see men with breast implants and makeup-painted faces anymore. Crazy, huh? The thrill of it is fading from overexposure! Initially, I was trying to snap pictures of all of these people but they were mostly camera shy and I didn’t want to be obvious and rude. All I can tell you is that everything you think you know is true. Anything goes in Thailand. I feel disturbed by these old White men who come pick up Thai women because one of them spoke to me. He was a sex crazed, unambitious (or wrongfully directed?), socially disgusting, incredibly old, old man. He said that he used to idolize Hugh Hefner but now that he lives in Thailand, he gets all the young *BLEEP* that he wants--more than he’s ever had and all he wants is his own life now (Playboy mansions be damned). He was drunk but presumably truthful.

Random shots of Thai Boys:




No comments:

Post a Comment