Tuesday 17 January 2012

Welcome to Malaysia

Phuket, Malaysia

(Fight the urge! It is actually pronounced POOH-KHET. I was just as disappointed as you are when this news was broken to me. I had been running around shrugging my shoulders like, "f*ck it".)

We flew on tiny planes again. Took a short flight to Phuket and immediately made our way toward the docks so that we could get to the gorgeous islands the next day. We stayed at a hostel for the first time and I feel like I’m finally a true backpacker! It was actually a really good experience. Clean, nice people, internet, a good place to kick back and relax. It was called iHostel.

Upon our arrival in Phuket, we booked a round trip ferry to get to and from Koh Phi Phi Ley Island. Koh Phi Phi Don houses the place (Maya Bay) where the iconic scenes from The Beach, starring Lionardo DiCaprio, was filmed. I had to go! Everything seemed legit with the booking office, receipts, business cards, etc. but the next morning when they were supposed to send a taxi to take us to the pier, they never showed. We called and were given excuses and unsatisfactory concessions for the fact that we’d missed our ferry but were denied a refund. They played the whole, ‘I speak no English’ card up as best they could be we weren’t fooled by their scheming butts. This travel agent next door (shout out to Punyawee Khampin of Phuket Five Stars Travel Agency who came through BIG time) and the owner of iHostel worked it out and got us there on time for the next ferry at no charge.


Koh Phi Phi Don from the ferry

It was a gorgeous 2-hour ride and I still feel like I’m bouncing on a boat two days later! My equilibrium is shot. Had some pictures of this journey but the camera with most of those pics was stolen on the first night on the island, so those are history. (I'm not even going to go into detail about how that whole scenario took place! Another time, another place.)

Me, relaxing on the side of the ferry

I did manage to hold onto this gem though...

This guy never shut his legs once!

No comments:

Post a Comment