Tuesday 25 October 2011

Crazy Lady

Forward note: You have to believe me, because I cannot possibly make this stuff up.

To quickly set the background, let me just announce that (I somehow forgot to mention) I can now drive a stick/manual! And I can do it from the right side of the vehicle, while driving on the left side of the road, and shifting with my left hand (did you get alla that?). Oh yeah, and I can do it in a 40 ft bus. TOOT, TOOT! Yes, that was my own horn. I had to learn because that is basically the only type of transmission driven here and in order to transport students, I needed my Australian bus driver's license.

And this newly acquired skill is where my story begins. I work with someone who is known to be particularly unstable and entitled (with zero merit). Although no one cares much for her, I try to be cordial and inclusive to elicit a softer side from her. In the past, I've been successful but just recently, I threw in the towel.

She accused me of assault! If I weren't on foreign soil then I might've found this to be more amusing. To make a long story short, she asked if she could drive the bus and I told her that she couldn't because she is unlicensed (and insane–but I left that part out) and it was against policy. I offered to drive and she could observe. She literally ran outside, jumped in the driver's seat, buckled up, and refused to move (she knew that I needed to take the bus to pick up students at that time)! I asked her to get out. She argued for a while and then eventually got in the passenger seat.

On the drive, she started screaming at me and calling me a b*tch for not allowing her to practice driving. I suggested we refrain from speaking to each other on this drive due to the tension, and turned on the radio. At this point, she started to smash her fists all over the control panel and yell at me! I started to pull over simply because I didn't know if she was going to yank the wheel. Then she took out her phone and started dialing...her husband, the school principal, and the police! While she did this, she began to fake cry. Fake, as in, her voice went up 10 decibels and she began to audibly sob like a child throwing an attention-seeking tantrum. Her complaint was that I was "driving like a crazy person" and that I verbally assaulted her by singing along with the radio. (I kid you not. Verbatim: "She is singing so loud to the radio–she is trying to drive me crazy!" Really? I was 100% minding my own business and driving responsibly.)

In the end, she threatened that her husband was "going to deal with me". The police actually did show up but they never approached me. They should have fined her for wasting taxpayer's money. I never saw that husband of hers. Now might be a good idea for me to figure out where the American Embassy is located....?

1 comment: