Monday 16 January 2012

Little People, Big World

Just as an observation, everything in Asia is tiny!
  • The people
  • The "one size fits all" clothes
  • The Air Asia plane seats....a JOKE. (No one over 5'6" will be comfortable. Anyone over 5'8" will want to shoot themselves. Anyone over 6' will need to have their legs amputated from lack of blood flow.)
  • The masseurs' hands
  • Couches and chairs sit low
  • Beds and chairs are hard like a rock covered with a thin yoga mats (oh, and they're small)
  • Toilet seats basically scrape the ground.
Speaking of...toilet paper is rare here. It's like, the Holy Grail and everyone knows it–Which is why I've theorized that people snatch it up if they ever come across a roll, hence, none remains for anyone else. I've found myself using this hose (looks just like a kitchen sink hose, with a sprayer and all) to give myself short bursts of water as a cleansing mechanism after peeing on numerous occasions. Not sure if it's intended for that or more for rinsing the toilet bowl...but either way, I am treating it like a poor man's bidet. Oh, and I have neglected to mention that bathrooms are all-in-one. As in: sink, toilet, shower, and drain, all in one cubical space with no dividers in between. No shower curtains. No half walls. Everything gets wet.

Back to the size observations–One thing that has been throwing me off is the size of the steps around here, especially at temples. You'd have thought that giants built these cities! Every step up burns my quads. But then again, you can find stairs so narrow that you need to walk down sideways in order for half of your foot to find the landing.

Oh, well. I don't pretend to understand. I just observe!

No comments:

Post a Comment