Tuesday 10 January 2012

People, People, Everywhere! FROM Everywhere!

Bali, Indonesia

I've been here two days now (internet is a scarce commodity) and it is amazing to see all of this culture and diversity in one place. All around us there are different languages and accents being spoken. I am meeting people from around the world who are just “on holiday”. Many of them have been traveling for years and spend 5 to 6 months in each country with no itinerary to follow but the wind. Just goes to show the unlimited nature of human experience.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I think I'm beginning to be able to tell what part of the world people come from on sight based on their personal style, haircut, and bone structure! And is it weird that being among this smorgasbord of culture, I feel almost plain being an American? I'm probably deluded. Foreigners perceive that I have an accent just as I do them, so I'm thinking it's all about who's wearing the shoes. 

And can we address the world's most heavily recited lie? Something got seriously lost in translation because whoever originally said, "It's a small world, after all" was not speaking geographically. People regurgitate this line as if to say that the world is physically small. Maybe from outer space, but that's it.  From my perspective, the world's range of existing culture alone is enough to blow my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment