Wednesday 25 January 2012

Leaving Pattaya

Pattaya, Thailand

Had anyone ever before heard of Pattaya, Thailand? I hadn’t. Ended up here by a last minute decision to hit the beach. Let me just give it a little round of applause for being a marvelously unsuspecting good time. *cheers*



Our bus trip back to Bangkok confirmed my unsupported but otherwise certain suspicion that the bus we took to Pattaya was all kinds of wrong. The return bus was clean, organized (assigned seats), and even had a bathroom on board! I didn’t know this and taking a lesson from my last experience, I’d intentionally avoided a single drop of liquid all day prior to boarding. In fact, the last thing I did before getting on the bus back was to use the restroom at the station. They had a swivel gate set up outside of the entrance and charged 3 baht to go in the restroom! Once inside, I noticed that there was toilet paper in the trashcans but none in the stalls and figured it ran out. I asked the attendant whom I’d already paid if I could have some toilet paper. Her response was, “toilet paper, 5 baht!” Psssh! Guess who got blasted with the kitchen sink sprayer again? She did (no, I'm not referencing the attendant).

This bus was heavenly compared to the one we took coming out to Pattaya. That isn’t saying much but really, it was such a welcome relief! No more incessant horn honking, broken and filthy seats, lack of toilet, mosquito plagues, rude attendants, annoying television, violations of personal belongings (had an undercarriage), frequent drop offs and pick ups, or being left somewhere on the side of the road instead of at the station. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment