Saturday 10 September 2011

Lakes Resort Camping Trip

So, one of the amazing things about my job is that I get to plan "excursions" (field trips) and one of the things that most of these girls love to do is camp! This trip was intimate and served as an award for the most deserving students (boys and girls). We only brought 11 girls. Lakes Resort was beautiful and secluded, out bush (which means it was literally out in the bush, or boonies as we'd say in America). I can't find the pictures that I took so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Crocodiles are again a supposed concern here (basically, everywhere there is fresh water) but the water is really nice and clean so I’m hoping they'll be visible if I need to worry. The lake is surrounded by thick borders of high grass and lily pads and these hedges look like prime real estate for a croc stakeout.  I’m aware of the apparent dangers (did I ever tell you my middle name?)…but that didn’t stop me from getting in the water! 

I got the girls out on the lake in canoes that we had to first hoist over our heads and march down a quarter mile of dirt road before dragging them through the sticky muddy bottom in a high, grassy area in order to get to the open water. It was terrifying and a serious adrenaline rush! Haha—I’m not completely reckless though; I made sure the girls went first! Obviously, we survived. And even though we kept our eyes peeled, there were no crocs in sight.

We camped on a large 2nd story deck that was located in the nook of the U-shaped lake. (You know, like where your butt would be if you laid in a hammock.) I had my own tent pitched up there, surrounded by trees and wildlife. I just laid there absorbing where I was and continued to try to grasp the fact that I am in Australia…Never saw this one coming! Loving life’s possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment