Thursday 29 September 2011

Language Barriers and Other Observations

My time here never ceases to beg the question, "why?" when dealing with Australian lingo and customs. It's a daily struggle. Let me fill you in on a few 'like' terms and other goodies:

Australian / American

  • Power point / Electrical outlet
  • Chewie / Gum
  • Petrol / Gasoline
  • Sauce / Ketchup
  • Plaster / Band Aid
  • Kimbies or Knappies / Diapers
  • Knickers / Underwear

  • Every gas station is Pump first, Pay last.

  • Most shower stalls don’t have doors or curtains.
  • Bath tubs are scarce.

  • Napkins are basically non-existent.

  • Rarely will you find ice in drinks.

  • They have no 1 cent piece but still charge prices that suggest otherwise. No pennies! $1.99 soda cost $2. Again, WHY?

  • Their $1.00 and $2.00 currencies are gold coins. No bills until $5.00. Money is colorful and plasticy. You can literally wash these bills.

I'll add more to this, I'm sure. Too many anomalies to remember!

1 comment:

  1. I am super jealous. A little over a year ago AJ asked me where in the world I wanted him to fly me, and I said Australia--the place I've ALWAYS dreamed of! The place I wrote an entire geography book on! The place I spent an entire year in middle school studying about... Looks like he traded me for you. :( But I am glad to see you are enjoying life so much! I miss you like crazy! Loves you more! TaTaTa

    ReplyDelete