Sunday 18 September 2011

Litchfield

Litchfield National Park

I went to Litchfield National Park today! It is a big tourist (and local) attraction that has a bunch of different watering holes to hike around and swim in. We went to Bhuley Rock Hole and Florence Falls. I went cliff jumping from approximately 2.5 stories high. Not my biggest feat but considering how cautious I was because of my knee, it was a big enough thrill. In the end the worst I did was bruise my shin (a surprisingly deep and large bruise) on the surface of the water. My bro actually jumped off of a waterfall that was easily more than twice the height of my cliff! 


At one point, this guy swam out to near where I was wading and started drowning! I didn’t believe he was serious because I had just seen him swimming perfectly fine. Plus, he was making eye contact with me the whole time and he never made a sound. Was he just joking around? I wasn’t willing to risk my safety for his apparent entertainment. As it turned out, he really was drowning. I came to his aid at the same time as another bystander who hauled the guy to shallow water. The guy never spoke. For the rest of the time that he was there, he was by himself just sitting in knee-deep water and looking around. I later came to find out that he can’t speak English well, but that he can in fact speak. Weirdo.

Florence Falls. I jumped from cliff face on the left; bro, from top of right waterfall

We stopped by the “termite mound graveyard” outside of the park where, again, you should Google your references but there are hundreds of naturally occurring termite mounds. They get pretty tall. Check out the picture! I have no real idea of how long they take to build them but I know it must be time consuming. They are all different and don’t lose their shock value. 

It's like a baby Sycamore!


 Termite mound signage. Looks like we're talking about 50 years in the making...





No comments:

Post a Comment