Monday 29 August 2011

Wallaby, WallaBYE

I forgot to mention that I ate fried kangaroo my first night here. It was actually surprisingly good. Can’t compare it to much. It was on the chewy side but otherwise looked like a pork chop.

Australians write the date all mixed up: August 27, 2011 = 27/08/11

So, on 27/08/11 at 11:34am, I saw my first wallaby!

Sadly, on 28/08/11 at 7:24am, I killed my first wallaby...

The very first wallaby that I saw in the wild

Well, technically it wasn’t my fault. I wasn’t driving the van that smashed into the three-foot tall bouncing beast, I was just the passenger who felt the destruction and jolting as it was drug under our wheels and trailer. I could have sworn we ran over a steel log for as much jarring as the whole thing caused. It was as dumb as a deer; just hopped right out of the trees and into our front bumper. Maybe they aren’t dumb but it was just a successful suicide attempt?!?! Our bumper broke off and the air filter fell out of the underside of the hood of the van. We were still able to drive, but that wallaby split open and its guts fell out–a speedy death. Oh, and then I saw two huge crocks! They were in the river we drove over and must have been a minimum of ten feet long. There are signs all over the place saying “Don’t swim. It’s not worth your life.” Touche.


Croc warning signs

No comments:

Post a Comment