Sunday 25 September 2011

World-Class Hospitality

Have I mentioned how nice Australians are? I'd heard otherwise, so maybe this is restricted to the Northern Territory, but everyone here has been amazingly sweet.

The people I've met are always offering to take me places, to cover my meal expenses, and to be included in their social gatherings. They don't even know me and they are being accommodating! When I try to repay the favor, they are insistent that I don't–and I'm not talking about that whole back-and-forth thing that Americans do, you know the one:

Him: "Oh, no. Put your wallet away. I've got it."

Her: "Oh, you don't have to do that!"

Him: "I know, but I want to."

Her: "Are you sure? Cuz really, I can get it."

Him: "Absolutely. I've got this."

Her: "Okay, thanks..." (she says this with an unsure and appreciative tone but is actually thinking, "Oh, GOOD! I didn't mean I word I just said. I just wanted to seem thoughtful."


Australians genuinely just want to be good people. Nothing in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment