Monday 9 April 2012

Job #3: Wrap Up

Now that I am officially no longer working there (on account of beginning my travels back to America) and there is no way for you to know which of my many charges I am describing, I will tell you some of the highlights of my experience working with these at-risk kids:


  • Wanted to have privacy (understandably) so jumped out of a moving vehicle and ran away.


  • Was upset that caregiver refused to take them to the mall so went outside and used a crowbar to break out the four side windows of the company car.


  • Threw a brick through the front window of their house, out of frustration.


  • Completely and thoroughly curse out their caregivers on a daily basis.


  • Stole a car and drove nearly 200 miles inland before being caught and imprisoned.


  • Threw a fit and tossed caregiver's purse into the swimming pool.


  • Stole money from caregiver's wallet.

Now, let me just say that with certain kids, there are always two caregivers on duty, so as to provide protection for each other and to help control situations that may get out of hand. I am happy to report that these kids had a certain degree of respect for me–I think it was because I didn't take their bullsh*t like many of the other caregivers did. I respected them as much as they deserved it but I wasn't offering charity or one to be played. That being said, while I did witness either the act or the aftermath of all of these infractions, none of them were ever pulled on me, specifically. 

It's really unfortunate that these kids are in the situations that they are. I really hope that they will come out of the other side of their circumstances, whole and better for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment